T: + 284 393-5800
Practice areas: Corporate and Commercial, Banking and Finance, Investment Funds
Christopher Simpson is a Partner in the firm’s Commercial Department. His practice focuses primarily on Corporate and Commercial, Banking and Finance, and Investment Funds, where he advises a client base of leading financial institutions, corporations, and law firms on all aspects of corporate finance including joint ventures, initial public offerings, private placements, mergers, arrangements, corporate restructuring, bilateral and syndicated loans, bond issues, property financing, project finance, special purpose vehicles, investment funds, and general aspects of corporate law. He also advises on investment business and regulatory matters.
Prior to joining O’Neal Webster, Christopher practised at Harney Westwood & Riegels in both their BVI and Hong Kong offices.
Christopher is regularly instructed by leading law firms, financial institutions and corporations on high value corporate, banking and investment funds transactions. Over the course of his career, Christopher has been involved in numerous IPOs, including on AIM, TSX, NASDAQ, SGX and the LSE. He has also been involved in ground breaking deals including one of the first ever court approved corporate arrangement schemes in the BVI and one of the largest single asset real estate financings in China.
Christopher is a graduate of the University of the West Indies and the Norman Manley Law School. He is also a graduate of the University of London where he obtained a LLM in International Business Law. Christopher was admitted in the British Virgin Islands in 2001 and was registered as a foreign lawyer in Hong Kong in 2006. Christopher is a past Treasurer of the BVI Bar Association and is a Notary Public.
– Acted as BVI counsel to FBN Capital in a US$315 million financing for the acquisition of a majority interest in one of the largest power generating stations in Nigeria.
– Acted as BVI Counsel to Luminex Corporation in its US$50 million acquisition of molecular diagnostics firm GenturaDX and its subsequent restructuring. That deal was awarded an M&A Deal of the Year Award by M&A Advisor.
– Acted as BVI counsel to Mercantil Colpatria, S.A. in connection with its sale to The Bank of Nova Scotia of a 51% stake in Banco Colpatria, one of Colombia’s leading banks. The deal was valued at about US$1 billion.
– Acted as BVI counsel to Taylor Wimpey PLC in connection with its reorganization following its sale of Scottsdale home builder, Taylor Morrison and its Canadian sister company, Monarch Homes to a consortium of investment funds for US$1.15 billion.
– Acting as BVI counsel to Prime Glory Management Limited on its sale of a residential property in Hong Kong in one of the most expensive residential areas in the world for HK$280,000,000. The property was sold to China LWM Property Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sino-Tech International Holdings Limited (a company listed on the HKSE). The transaction was a discloseable transaction under Hong Kong Listing Rules.
BVI Finance – “Why more investment managers are turning to the BVI”
Global Capital Markets – “Securities and investment business regulations in the British Virgin Islands”
China Business Law Journal – “Offshore Structures in China Business”
Financier Worldwide Magazine – “BVI Legal and Regulatory Framework – insight for offshore private equity investors”
Several articles and guides on Mondaq, Lexology and Legal 500.
Christopher has made numerous presentations at conferences and seminars on a variety of BVI corporate and investment funds matters in key cities, including Miami, New York, and Hong Kong.
LL.B. (Hons), University of the West Indies (1998)
Certificate of Legal Education (Merit), Norman Manley Law School (2000)
LL.M. (Hons), University of London (2005)
“Highly regarded.” Investment Funds, Banking – IFLR 1000, 2019
[Christopher Simpson is a] “Key Contact” and “Recommended Lawyer” – Legal500, 2016
“Recommended” Corporate & Commercial Lawyer – Legal 500, 2014
Banking Lawyer of the Year – British Virgin Islands (Lawyer Monthly Legal Awards, 2013)
“[Christopher] Simpson has been involved in major BVI deals, including one of the first ever court approved corporate arrangements in the BVI.” – Legal 500, 2011